We know it’s easy to fall off the healthy eating wagon when we dine at restaurants, but now we know the dishes that are the worst offenders, thanks to the Xtreme Eating Awards revealed by the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest. These meals have tons of calories, salt, added sugar, saturated fat and cholesterol. CSPI calls these extreme meals “nutritional nightmares” and these are the ones to watch out for.
- Cheeseburger Omelette from IHOP - It’s got eggs, hamburger patty pieces, hash browns, cheese, and a side of three pancakes with butter and syrup, but it’s the equivalent of eating four McDonald’s Sausage Egg McMuffins topped with two tablespoons of syrup!
- Cheese Curd Bacon Burger from Buffalo Wild Wings - Adding fries and battered, deep-fried cheese curls to a burger loaded with cheese, two strips of bacon and a “mayo-rich” sauce makes this about the same amount of calories as five Burger King Bacon Double Cheeseburgers!
- Flying Gorilla cocktail from The Cheesecake Factory - This drink has 950 calories and more added sugar and saturated fat than you should eat in a whole day. CPSI says, “it’s like kicking off your meal by pouring a 20-ounce Budweiser over five scoops of Breyers Chocolate ice cream.”
- Pasta Napoletana from The Cheesecake Factory - With the Italian sausage, pepperoni, meatballs, and bacon on top of pasta with butter and cream brings the calorie count to colossal 2,310! Plus it has close to four times the amount of saturated fat you should eat in a day.
- Prime Rib with Loaded Sweet Potato from Texas Roadhouse - The addition of mini marshmallows and caramel sauce on the sweet potato makes that a dessert, so this dish earns the “Most Damage from a Supporting Vegetable” award. The whole dish - including the Caesar salad - comes in at more than 2,800 calories and enough saturated fat for almost four days. Yikes!
- Ridiculously Awesome, Insanely Large Chocolate Cake from Uno Pizzeria & Grill - This dessert wins the “Most Ridiculous Ending” award because it has 1,740 calories and over three times the sugar you should eat in a day.
- Ultimate Smokehouse Combo from Chili’s - The first clue this isn’t good for you is that it’s served on a tray instead of a plate. You pick three meats, they’re served with corn, fries, garlic toast and pickles - so it’s like eating a triple meal!