The City of Marion is announcing that detours in the downtown Marion area will get underway at 6:00 pm on Tuesday, September 7 to accommodate activities for the upcoming Marion Popcorn Festival, being held September 9-11. Streets will remain closed until the festival’s conclusion at midnight on Saturday and may remain closed into the early hours of Sunday morning for festival clean-up. Detours during the festival will occur for the following streets:
• Center St. between State St. and Campbell St.
• Church St. between Main St. and Prospect St.
• Main St. between Huber St. and Church St.
• Prospect St. between George St. and Church St.
• Oak St. between Huber St. and Center St.
In preparation for and during the Popcorn Parade, the closure of several area streets will occur on Thursday, September 9. The following streets will close beginning at approximately 5:00 pm and remain closed until parade units have cleared the street:
• Forest Lawn Blvd. (closed from E. Center St. to Mt. Vernon Ave.)
• Chicago Ave. (closed between E. Center St. and Wilson Ave.)
• Johnson St. (closed between E. Center St. and Wilson Ave.)
• Boone Ave. (closed between E. Center St. and Wilson Ave.)
• Pennsylvania Ave. (closed between E. Center St. and E. Church St.)
• Kenmore Ave. (closed between E. Center St. and E. Church St.)
The following streets will be closed until the conclusion of the parade:
• East Center St. between Merchant St. and State St. (closing at approximately 5:00 pm.)
• S. State St. between Center St. and Columbia St.
• S. Vine St. between Center St. and Church St./Mt. Vernon Ave.
• E. Church St. between State St. and Vine St.
• S. High St. between Center St. and Church St.
Due to the various street closures taking place in preparation for the Popcorn Festival Parade on Thursday, September 9, Marion Area Transit will be making final pick-ups at 2:00 pm, with final drop offs scheduled for 2:30 pm. Normal operating hours will resume on Friday, September 10.